Trying to figure out what to throw at your kids in the afternoon after school when they are starving can sometimes result in poor choices. Even when we think we are giving our children a healthy snack we can be deceived. Fruit smoothies and yogurt are two “healthy” snacks that are loaded with sugar. Take some time over the weekend to make a batch of SUPERHERO BARS (see recipe below). They are easy to make, low in sugar and packed with nuts and fruits to keep your children satisfied and ready to tackle anything (even super-villains). They can replace those granola bars that are expensive and nutritionally deceptive. We are all busy, but just MAKE time to model good nutrition and exercise habits for your family. Monkey see, monkey do… speaking of monkeys, check out my two little monkeys in the video below at a recent FitCamp 4 Kids class.
- 3/4 cup nut butter (almond OR cashew OR peanut OR sunflower butter)
- 3/4 cup sweetener syrup (honey OR GF brown rice syrup OR good quality Agave nectar)
- 1 1/2 cups roasted raw nuts and / or seeds (almonds, pecans, walnuts, cashews, peanuts, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds- use your favorites in any combination)
- 1 cup unsulfured dried fruit (cherries, cranberries, blueberries, apricots, pineapple, raisins- use your favorite dried fruits in any combination)
- 4 cups GF brown rice crispy cereal (you can find gluten-free).
- 1/8 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper Place nuts and / or roasted seeds and dried fruit in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse several times, just until the mixture is coarsely ground. In a large saucepan melt nut butter with liquid sweetener over medium low heat. Stir and watch carefully to prevent scorching. When the mixture is smooth and bubbling cook for about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add salt and vanilla and stir to combine. Use a large spatula to stir in nuts, dried fruit and cereal. Stir until all ingredients are coated with nut butter mixture.
Scrape mixture on to the prepared baking sheet. Use the spatula to evenly spread the mixture on the pan. Place a large piece of waxed paper over the mixture and use a rolling pin to smooth the top of the mixture. Cover with the waxed paper and refrigerate for about 2 hours before cutting the energy bars into whatever sizes or shapes you prefer.
Max Power Snatch 10.5.3.1.1.1 or Practice Skill of Movement
3 Power Cleans (135/95/65)
12 Ring Dips
3 Power Cleans
20 Min AMRAP
*Post thoughts and times to comments.